Thursday 8 October 2009

End Point Of Life

I witnessed a LSCS + BTL at the OT just now.

First, please allow me to explain the short forms or jargon:
1) LSCS - Lower segment Caesarean section
2) BTL - Bilateral tubular ligature
3) OT - Operating theatre

So what happened was, there was excessive bleeding during the LSCS and the patient's BP was so low, 3x/2x was the lowest recorded. The anaesthetist of the surgery was so worried, so I guess he called for help from the other anaesthetists around and about three or four other anaesthetists came in one after another trying to help.

They did so much to keep her alive, dopamine, calcium carbonate, bicarbonate and many other drugs were used. They transfused a total of 14 pints of whole blood into her, I still have yet to mention about the amount of platelet, fresh frozen plasma and cryoprecipitate transfused, so imagine the severity of her condition.

As a Student Nurse, all I can do there was just to watch how the whole commotion took place and send the blood samples to ICU for ABG stat, I ran to the ICU back and forth for three times x.x All the results showed acidosis.

When I look at such commotion taking place, I can't help but to think of LIFE again. That patient's life was at stake, she was really at the border of her own life and she could've just died there if she didn't hold on. Blood was oozing like waterfalls, literally! The drapes, gowns of doctors and nurses, and even the floor are full of blood!

I thought, life's still life, she may just die there, leaving her husband and newborn daughter behind to mourn for her every year on her daughter's birthday. It's the sacrifice and love ONLY a mother could afford to pay to bring her children into this world. I was impressed by ALL the mothers in this world, no matter what kind of mothers they could be.

About my life, I thought, if I were to be on that table and I really died, means my life just ended LIKE THAT. I haven't done enough in life, I haven't achieve enough in life, I haven't try many things in life! How can I just die like that? I still have many regrets and unsolved issues.

Thinking about all these actually made me realise how important is it for me to appreciate life RIGHT NOW! Appreciate who you have in your life. Say, 'I love you!' to the people you love before it's too late. Never linger around a mistake or hate someone for their mistake for too long as you might just lose them the next day, then it'll be too late for you to say that you love them any more because they won't be able to hear it from you FOREVER.

So take this golden chance, if you love them, say so. Don't let anything small, little or petty get in between you and the people you love, so you won't regret in the future.

That's what I've been doing all these while =)

No comments: